A game jam is a friendly gathering of people who want to work on making a video game together. Participants include anyone who works on, or wants to work on the creation of a video game, including artists, designers, software developers and writers! Like almost everything else, Wikipedia has a great article on Game Jams. You can also head to our Frequently Asked Questions for some resources on how to get started if you are new to game development.
Our rules are pretty straightforward, but here are some tips to understand the rules.
- “can” means it doesn’t affect scoring
- “should” means not following the rule might affect scoring
- “must” means not following the may result in not being permitted to participate
Over and above the rules our Game Jam also has a Code of Conduct, everything else is fair game!
- You can work, as an individual or a team, to make a video game
- You should incorporate the theme selected on the morning of Friday the 16th – theme relevance is one of the voting criteria.
- You should publish your game on the game jam site when finished (by Monday, August 19th at 1:00 PM) – people can’t vote on your game if it’s not there!
- You must be over the age of 19 to participate.
- You must be registered to participate in the event.
- You must respect the quiet time restrictions between 10:00 pm and 8:00 am
- You or a member of your team must be present on the afternoon of Monday, August 19th.
Note that these rules may be subject to change, and the finalized rules will be available on this page, and to participants during the event.